Tuesday, November 01, 2005

When You Feel Bad About Pompeii, Think Kittens

See last item for image source.

The first day of Nanowrimo has arrived, and I've got the gorgeous gut-clenching panic that says I'm out over my skis- again. Before I can begin the crappy writing through, I have to paint a nook, read a book, and write an 800-word review worth keeping. I have tons of family coming to visit during the NYC Marathon this weekend, and things are likely to go hairy-legged.

However, I can feel better (or at least petty) on this All Saints' Day by reflecting on worse November Firsts:

79- Pompeii immolated and buried by Mt. Vesuvius
1755- The Lisbon earthquake killed 60,000 people
1765- The Stamp Act took effect, roiling American colonists toward war
1918- The Hapsburg monarchy fell
1950- There was an attempted assassination of President Truman (better than a completion for Harry, but still a trying day)

and perhaps the most horrifying-

1993- Great Britain, France, Germany, the Irish Republic, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Denmark, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands became the European Union under the Maastricht Treaty. AAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!

My worries seem so teeny in comparison.

Please, I insist, read this Uncyclopedia post linked from The Poor Man Institute (via apostropher, sorry for the late attribution, link loss) about kitten huffing, and I'll stifle myself.

No comments: