Sunday, October 02, 2005

Against Hypersensitivity not Religion


From the Agricultural Department of my home state. To all the pigs who've given all they had for my sustenance and well-being, you have my respect and thanks.

Can you explain how banning Piglet on a tissue dispenser, or any ban in fact, demonstrates tolerance? It's just the beginning says Lost Budgie. In fact, here are books considered anti-Muslim in parts of Britain, not because they mention the religion or demean its tenets, but because pigs are present: The Three Little Pigs, Charlottes Web, Babe - The Sheep-pig, Cars and Trucks and Things That Go, Olivia Saves the Circus, Animal Farm. This isn't a new trend either. Some years ago, a collection of porcelain pigs was forcibly seized from a British woman's front room window sill while she was threatened with prosecution.

I'd never stop you from creating or displaying an image oppositional, even hostile, to my faith though I might comment if I found it uncreative or bad art. I don't get the vapors at the mere sight of something against my preferences or beliefs. That intestinal fortitude is implicit in civility, maturity, and sanity.

Not because I want to "piss off Moslems", but because sane people have to defy the histrionic who insist that their emotional grievances should trump logic, liberty, and law, I'm showing my pig!

No comments: