Wednesday, June 21, 2006

All Beagles and Quantum Mechanics

See item 3 for image link.

1) I love that now we can accurately train dogs to alert us to the trace differences in human scent caused by dangerous health conditions, like metastasizing cancer and uncontrolled diabetes, for example. Belle the beagle not only licks her owner's nose to check his glucose, but dialed 911 when he collapsed from a seizure. This arrangement provides an undoubtedly appreciative and loving home for Belle while allowing Kevin Weaver to live a lot more independently (and longer) than he would've in other eras.

2) Via Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind, I also liked this article comparing crime fiction and quantum physics. I feel so subtle and smart now. And it also reminded me, I haven't read any Dirk Gently in too long. Hie me away to The Long Dark Tea-time of The Soul.

3) An image of the Beagle 2 Mars lander would have tied the two concepts together, but it was named for Darwin's boat, not the pooch, and where's the challenge in that? However, by playing web phrase roulette, as I'm wont to do, I found the perfect image combined with a word problem, no less:

In the figure, a circus beagle of mass m = 6.0 kg runs onto the left end of a curved ramp with speed V = 7.8 m/s at the initial height of 8.5 m above the floor. It then slides to the right and comes to a momentary stop when it reaches a height y = 11.1 m from the floor. The ramp is not frictionless. What is the increase in the thermal energy of the beagle and ramp because of the sliding?

Okay, it's not quantum mechanics, but give me a break. Click here for solutions from AP Physics Chapter 6.

No comments: