Sunday, June 19, 2005

Six-Legged, Two-Penised Malaysian Puppy named Lucky.

I don't usually post on Sundays, but today's AP story provided a strange and wonderful follow-up to yesterday's one about sadder puppy fates. Spare me the jokes about any creature with two penises being lucky. Okay don't, but make sure they're funny.

--- I wrote the above then decided to search for an example of the kind of thing I meant and I couldn't find one. Oh, there were tons of web sites and lots of material, but as I feared, nothing struck me funny. And can we get some one-liners posted, please? Everything's essay-length, shaggy dog format. Perhaps jokes simply stink in print. If a person telling me a joke screws up or forgets the set-up, or experiences paroxysms of hysterics long before the punch line (like 5 year-olds frequently do), I always find that infectiously amusing. But for me, the form known as the joke acquires humor in the delivery not the content. Anywayyyyy---

The puppy was apparently abandoned outside a Chinese temple and is being cared for by the temple committee...devotees feel that the unusual dog is a bearer of good fortune and have named him Ong Fatt, or the Lucky One.

I did wonder whether the extra parts are residuals of an undeveloped twin (eeuwww) and what the reaction would be to a similarly formed young human. Social labeling as "accursed" or "lucky" can be as arbitrary as lethal in certain geographies, but I suppose my overall feeling is happiness for any oddball with a loving home. You represent hope for us all. Welcome to the World, your Ong Fattness!

No comments: